NHT Contributions Refunds 2010

Thu, Mar 4, 2010


At the start of the year, the National Housing Trust (NHT) introduced a new way of refunding contributions. Customers were asked to apply via the internet rather than make their applications on paper. The new arrangement meant that the NHT would no longer be making payments from its offices. When customers applied, therefore, they could choose to have their funds sent directly to a local commercial bank account held in their name, or to either one of two remittance agencies.

However, some contributors who chose to use their banks to collect their funds faced challenges. Last year, a number of refunds were sent to customers’ bank accounts but were rejected by their banks and returned to the NHT.

If you should choose to have your refunds sent to your bank account in 2010, here are some ways you could avoid having your bank return your funds to the Trust:

  • Make sure your account is active. If you haven’t done any transactions on your account for at least one year, your account could be considered dormant. If that is the case, you should visit your bank to reactivate the account before applying for your refund.
  • Your bank account must either be a savings account or a chequing account. Refunds will not be send to your credit card account or loan your loan account.
  • Make sure the account to which you want the funds sent is in your exact name. For example if you got married since opening your account and you are applying for the NHT refund in your married name, you must change the name on your account at the bank to your married name.
  • When you apply online, you must also remember to put in the branch at which you opened the bank account. So, for example, if you opened your account at Linstead branch but you now do business with Black River branch of the bank, you must input Linstead branch as the branch of origin. Thereafter, you can pick up your funds from any location.
  • Once you have selected a bank from the list provided, you must type in the account number for that bank. For example, if you have selected Bank of Nova Scotia, you should not in the account number for Scotia Jamaica Building Society where you also have an account.
  • Do be careful to input your bank account number and not your ATM card number when you apply for your refunds online. In the past, some applicants have mistakenly put in their ATM card numbers because they have got accustomed to using their ATM cards. Remember, the ATM card number is not acceptable.
  • If the bank has to return your refunds to the NHT for any reason, to get the funds, you will have to re-apply online bearing in mind all the points noted above.

If you follow these simple steps, you should be able to have a stress-free refunds applications experience in 2010. For more information, send an email to

In 2010, the NHT will be refunding contributions made in 2002 and before. If you had worked for a company that had made NHT contributions for you in 2002 but you are no longer employed to that company, please look out for an NHT advertisement in all major newspapers.

Bookmark and Share
, , ,